Sunday, February 6, 2011

Blackout & Blizzard 2011

Brrrrrr.....Baby, it's cold outside!
We had our snow for the year and it was a good one! We don't see this much snow very often and while it was beautiful, we were very ready for it to leave. The snow was so fun, but the extreme cold was not! These outside picture were snapped at the chilly temp of 9 degrees!!!
Brody had to take his snow globe into the snow. This became the toy of choice during the snow days. I guess it was the irony?

Owen's main concern was his shoes. They are still rather new and special and he was concerned for snow damage

Brody tried to make a run for it! Thank goodness Grammie was joining us for dinner and she managed to chase him down before he got too far.

Why did mom not chase him down? Poor shoe choice!!!!
I wanted to take the boys outside all day but never got sister to sleep and boys dressed all at the same time.

BLACKOUT!!!!
We started out our morning with screaming little boys. Around 4am Brody and Owen were both awake requesting "jooooooice" (thats juice in case you don't speak toddler). I tossed their juice to them, turned on the Disney channel, told them not to get out of bed until the sun came up and closed the door (mom was pooped from the recent illnesses that have plagued our house). FYI: The boys never sleep with their door open. At 5:30 Todd and I were awoken by screaming, while stumbling to their room I thought they were trying to sneak out of their room and had shut fingers in the door. As I was trying to wake up and figure out where I was, Todd points out the power is out. LOVELY! It's about 2 degrees outside. We get the boys to our bed and light some candles (which they kept blowing out) and give them our iPads to play games while we assess the situation. We find out power will not be restored until at least 8. Hmmmm, that's two and half hours away, it's getting cold, we call Grammie, she's got power...We're outta here! Getting three children dressed and downstairs and out the door to daddy's truck in the dark...so fun!
Owen was not bother at all by any of these obstacles. Brody crashed as soon as we got to Grammies and got warm. Grammie's house was warm and only suffered two short blackouts due to the rolling blackouts they were running to conserve power.
What else can I get into. Glad Grammie has reading glasses so Owen can stay up on his current events
Hello? Anyone out there? Anyone know how to get our power back on?
My wonderful neighbor kept me up to date on our power situation at home. Apparently just our little section of the neighbor was blacked out. Around 11 our power was restored and Todd ran home to crank up the heaters and bring back my car so we would have car seats for the babies. He laughed at me because all the light in the house were on where I had been when he went home. I guess every switch I passed by I flipped on during the blackout. Just habit, I guess.
I did find the boys headlamp to be beneficial during our time of trouble. Since this happened, I have purchased flashlights and dispersed them around the house. Clearly, we will never have another blackout because I am READY!
Our winter wonderland

1 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

Ugh! That stinks! We were one of the few neighborhoods that didn't have any blackouts. And if it happened at night? We would be in a sore situation. I have no idea where the flashlights are, and we'd be licky to find any candles at all! Glad everyone survuved. :)